Online classes from Canada: A Quest for Internet Access

I'm sure many of you in EME6414 have traveled while completing your online studies. Usually it's not too difficult to find some time here and there to log in and complete coursework..... when you're still in your home country. The moment you travel into another country where cell service isn't an option and your days are packed with family gatherings and appointments.... well, things get a million times more complex.

That's what happened to me last week in Canada.

You may have noticed my absence from blogging last week. Yup. That happened. My internet access was inconsistent, and when I did manage to snag it for a bit, it wasn't long enough to accomplish any real work. We had to meet family, drive from Oakville to Scarborough, and then to Mississauga and back to Toronto. Seriously, if I had a constant internet connection during all of the hours we spent in traffic, I'd have been able to get all of my homework done for all three classes.... twice! And I thought Seattle traffic was bad. Sheesh!

Meanwhile, I was taking photos as often as possible, even insisting on walking a few blocks out of the way to grab some shots of interesting landmarks I knew about. I posted the good ones on Twitter and Instagram when I had the opportunity, trying to get closer to that participation requirement for EME6414. 

I juggled group assignments with classmates that were depending on me, reading in the car without getting carsick, and interviewing my friend that rode with us to Niagara Falls as I typed away on my laptop in the back seat... all for an assignment.

Now, maybe starting homework at 10pm after getting "home" works for some people taking one class. Maybe two. But taking 3 classes where two of them just so happen to have large assignments due on the same day? HAH. Let's just say my FitBit told me my best day of sleep was about 5 hours long... and that was only because my Fiance chose not to wake me until noon that day.

A few weeks back Dr. Dennen challenged us all to go 24 hours without the internet. I didn't think it was possible then, and I still don't think it's possible now (while taking 3 classes, anyway). It's an interesting feeling when you're forced to go without internet though. I couldn't relax, even when I knew my lack of internet access couldn't be helped. As we walked around Niagara I was mentally strategizing  how I would tackle my work when I got back. How many tokens was I going to need to use? How should I use them? Which deadlines are first? How much time will each task take? I was obsessing over my homework so much that I couldn't properly enjoy any of my disconnected time, which really is a shame.

Luckily I only have a few months left in the program, and then I'll be able to truly enjoy another trip to Canada (or really anywhere). 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Internet Trolling vs Cyber Bullying

Out into the Bloggesphere

EME6414 Week 1: How am I doing?