Wrapping up week 2

The second week of EME6414 and this blog's existence is coming to a close, and I've noticed some big changes since last week, both in my perspective of and familiarity with social media. 

I'm definitely starting to better understand the differences and overlaps between formal and informal learning and how social media can be used to enhance classroom learning. For more info on that, read my previous blog post here

This week I didn't allow myself to get stressed out. I didn't sweat the topics for my blog posts this week as they came pretty naturally from readings, curiosity, and ideas from other classmates' blogs. If you are stressing about topics, don't let it overwhelm you! Just browse around social media for ideas and they will come to you. I hope that this mentality can cross over to next week!

I also stopped worrying about number of comments and interactions this week. The world of social media is inconsistent, with some posts getting dozens, hundreds, or thousands of responses and others getting none. That's okay! 


During the week I also learned about some new social media and increased my familiarity with others. Before this week I had never heard of Nuzzel, a news app that aggregates news from social media apps such as Twitter and Facebook. I can see news posted by my Twitter friends, but none of my Facebook news is showing. I've played with the settings to no avail, but nevertheless it seems like a pretty neat app. I'm not sure that I will continue using it since I don't tend to seek out news articles each day, but I can definitely see how it would be useful to someone that likes to read the news.

I also started a new Instagram account and played with the functions there more than I have in the past. Additionally, I had a major "ah-hah" moment with Twitter when I learned how to click on posts to see conversations. That was a huge breakthrough for me because I had been feeling so confused when reading only half of a conversation but now I'm in the loop! I feel much more comfortable with Twitter now than ever before.


Lastly, I learned that Reddit has a new interface. I've been a longtime Reddit lurker, occasional upvoter, and incredibly rare poster (maybe 3-4 times in the last 7 years), but I tend to access Reddit exclusively from my RedditIsFun app. As a result, I never even knew the interface changed. I browsed that a bit this week and I can honestly say that I do not like it in the new "card" view because it requires much more scrolling. "Classic" view is okay, but still prefer the compact nature of the old interface.

This has been a great week in EME6414 and I am hoping to continue the positive momentum through week 3!

Comments

  1. You've got a great attitude about it all! I find that with practice and habit the ideas come easily. I have a full page of blog post ideas and several drafted (but incomplete posts). Many more ideas don't get documented each day.

    Sounds like a really good week, overall!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Internet Trolling vs Cyber Bullying

Out into the Bloggesphere

EME6414 Week 1: How am I doing?